My Blog List

Monday, June 23, 2014

Stairway to Heaven ... Conclusion

Climbing down (Charter School below)
I climbed down slow and steady, the stairs were wet and slippery , It was starting to get light when  I  popped out of clouds and saw the first platform .  I decided rehydrate, rest and wait  ,  As the sun began to rise  I started climbing down the steepest sections being careful to follow the 3 points of contact rule.   At about 900 ft. there is a flat section where I saw the  sunrise on the Ko'olau  Mountains and the famous  Hawaiian double rainbows over the valley ,    I climbed down  the rest of the way   facing out enjoying the vista  .  As I neared the bottom I could see the Security guard standing by his truck. I  read that he's good natured and will congratulate you  and has posed with hikers for  pictures .  When the stairs ended and I couldn't support my weight with my arms I promptly fell in the mud and tree roots , my good leg felt like a wet noodle , so I baby stepped down to the road.  You know that  friendly security guard , well it must have been his day off  cause this guy took my picture and glared at me .   No time to rest I needed to get off this property and out of the neighborhood,                                                                                                                                             The Hikers from the night before were all coming down now , I fell in behind a group of 5 Hawaiian kids  after hearing one of them say  "I know the way  "  great news  If I could keep up I would offer them money for a ride to my car.  We went through a hole in the fence into a steep dark and muddy bamboo forest   I was  right behind the leader , soon I saw  what looked like some one's back porch , Oh well too late now, I would  just apologize and keep moving  .  From behind one of the kids slipped and it had a " domino effect"  next thing I know I'm on the ground  in pile of Hawaiian kids covered in red clay  .  I looked up and   realized to my horror we had landed on to The School property                                                                

this view is why people climb

                
                                                                                                                                                               Ke Kula ʻo Samuel M. Kamakau School is located near the foot of the stairs and the Parents were in the process of dropping their kids off. The  Teacher's and Facility were  very upset with us.   Two teachers were taking video of us and 2 other's were on the phone to the  Honolulu Police Dept.  Fifteen minutes ago I was wondering where I was going to eat lunch, now I was pretty sure I was going to jail.  I  moved as quickly  as I could the 60 yards to the exit the, (the Hawaiian  kids took off running down the road),  as soon as I hit the road I made sure the coast was clear and tossed my pocket knife in the brush . The  road was a wet & slippery down hill run of  200 yards then make a right  another 100 yards to get off  private property.  I accepted that I would probably  be caught and cited or arrested  , I would have to suffer the consequences . I can imagine how insulting  it   would sound if I was to say "I didn't see the signs".                            I cleared the last fence and but still had to go 1/2 mile out of the neighborhood  , I just kept on moving .suddenly I saw a group of hikers loading into a car I ran up and offered $ 40  just to take me 1/2 mile across the Hwy. The driver said to me " Sir. you are going to have to call a cab" , he was holding in his hand a yellow citation from HPD.    I turned down the street and took off .   Around  the next corner I spotted the same Hawaiian kids from the  School , They were standing next to an SUV trying to   clean off red clay.   I ran up and told them; "We had to get out of here , and that the school had called the cops". They seemed unmoved, but when I told them the kids on the next block were cited  the driver said "get in" . We all piled in. I told the kid I would give him $ 40 to clean his truck  as my muddy clothes destroyed his back seat.   We hit the light and crossed the Hwy. just as 3 HPD cruisers surged in the Neighborhood , "wow did you see that" said the kid next to me . yes a close call indeed.             Happy to see my rental car in Kaneohe, I thanked the kids for the ride . As I drove down Hwy 83 towards the North Shore I looked for the message( Even though bad decisions make great stories ), I guess the message  would be ;,  Try to limit the amount of dangerous and  illegal things you do , because one day you're dumb luck will run out . The End                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          


No alien land in all the world has any deep, strong charm for me, but Hawaii, no other land could so longingly and beseechingly haunt my sleeping and waking, through half a lifetime, as Hawaii has done. Other things leave me, but it abides. – Mark Twain



2 comments: