My Blog List

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Purple Haze, Physical Graffiti, L.A. Woman and David Bowie

 You have to love the names given to Dragon fruit  varieties  .  I have  4  varieties in my side yard;  Vietnamese Jaina, Natural Mystic, Dark Star and Halley's Comet.
The Vietnamese Jaina is the large white fruit. I got  3 cutting's from a   neighbouring farm , The plants flower on the same day as the parent plants . The texture is similar to kiwi fruit with crunchy little seeds
Propagation is easy ; cut on and angle and stick in a pot. you don't even need root hormone . These are the easiest plants to propagate . Even if you just drop it on the ground it will likely  root  !
I always use  a premium potting mix , Tall pot and moist soil . I don't use any  fertilize for about 6 weeks ,  then light Organic 6-6-6
I get best results putting the pot's under the shade of an  Oak Tree
The  first bud's appear  in mid June
The plant produces large beautiful night blooming flowers   
I pick the fruit  after it turns this pale red. There is no benefit to leaving it on the plant longer it will not become any sweeter 
The plant is Cactus like and makes a great place for birds to nest 

No comments:

Post a Comment