My Blog List

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

November Pineapples

 see also " Redland Rambles"  for more information on growing in S. Florida http://redlandrambles.com/2011/07/04/pick-a-peck-of-pineapple/#comments 
University of Florida has a great web page on  growing  Pineapple in Florida http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg055 
I am still learning about growing Pineapples in South Florida.   It seems there is 2 seasons for growing Pineapples a year.  The plants first flower in late February and give you the primary harvest in June ,  the plants again flower in early August  and are ready to harvest in November. The  secondary harvest  seems to be about 30% the yield of the primary. The plants all look healthy and I think the fruit will be in around 8-9 lbs each.  I counted my plants today and I have 250 in the ground , I will keep planting till I run out of room or die.  I don't know if a November Pineapple tastes different than a June Pineapple .  I'll let you know  :)

1 comment:

  1. I will help you on tasting the pineapples. :P
    Yuhfen

    ReplyDelete