My Blog List

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Snails in the Garden

One of my favorite things is taking gardening at the market on Sunday mornings. The most asked question is; How to control snails and slugs. I just tell them the Organic text book answer, a shallow dish of beer. The fact of the matter I don’t have a snail/slug problem because my property is overrun with Toads ! The Cane Toad (Bufo marinus), also known as the Giant Neotropical Toad or Marine Toad, is a large, terrestrial
true toad native to Central and South America . This Toad was introduced all over the Caribbean and Australia to eat insect pests in sugar cane fields. First introduced in the US in Palm Beach Florida sugar cane fields in 1936 and 1944 and later in 1957 in Miami-Dade the toads are very well established . Their diet is nonselective they eat beneficial insects and agricultural pests as well as lizards, rodents, birds, dog food , plants and garbage. Because of this a 1963 study concluded that as the toad's diet included both harmful and beneficial invertebrates, it was considered "economically neutral”. In my case I can defiantly say the toads are beneficial .

No comments:

Post a Comment