My Blog List

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bloom where your planted

          I arrived at MIA very near DOA it was December 7 1978 . 4 days earlier I was riding my Motorcycle to Hull Bay in St. Thomas USVI. When I was hit by a car, I sustained multiple injuries the most serious was an open fracture of my right femur. The next 4 days I drifted in and out of conciseness , due in large part to infections from my open fracture.                                        Michigan summers are great ! Spring and Fall you see a lot of rain and mud , don’t ask me about Winter. The only thing I knew for sure about my life was I wanted to live in the Tropics !!                       “Graduating” High School with a GPA of 1.89 College was out , but you don’t need a PHD. To buy a plane ticket . So that is how I arrived in the US Virgin Islands , taking Bar and Restaurant jobs . My Restaurant work led to learning about and enjoying all types of food , witch led to Gardening and eventually to a small organic farm in Homestead . It’s over 33 years since I arrived in South Florida. I have come to believe there are few absolute truths in this world and you only fail when to quit trying .








Pool side USVI 1978 . a bottle of Rum is .79 cents.  Living an Endless summer, Bad things happen to other people not me .
Sleeping in Cars, on park benches , lawn chairs and in condemned buildings , but working on my suntan all day !
My Medical Highlights; 6 months in traction, 31 operations , 300 days in a hospital, 4 months in a body cast , not walking for 2 years , right leg 4 inches shorter , permanent nerve damage, over 100 hours in a hyperbaric chamber . years of pain full recovery.
2011, 33 years after arriving at MIA, " When life gives you lemons, throw them in the compost pile " :)
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, if you can't change your situation, change your attitude! Thanks for sharing your story about your leg. A miracle that you survived. The cool thing is that you're still agile and vigorous, and have a GREAT attitude toward life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Rowan,

    My name is Stina Fardig and I'm a junior at St. Mary's High School in St. Mary's, WV. I'm participating in a school play, and in that play I would like to use one of your pictures (namely this one: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WUP_6UDiyrI/ThND5WGIJZI/AAAAAAAAAPc/taXTOnptw1c/s1600/Untitled4.jpg ) for a slide show. If you wish I can send you the part of the script which will involve the picture. Do I get your permission to use the aforementioned picture?

    Regards,
    Stina Fardig
    stinis94@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure no problem , is the picture in the hospital ?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is. Thank you so much!

      Delete